A favorite holiday tradition is our family advent calendar.
Green felt takes the form of a Christmas tree adorned with 24 numbered pockets and a white garland to make this one of our most treasured holiday decorations.
Each year our advent calendar changes to keep it fun and interesting. For example, one year we read new books each night, another year each day was a small gift and this year it’s”acts of quality family time”.
Family time is so precious and we’re looking forward to spending quality time together throughout the month.
Even better, is that for planners (like me) you can actually pre-plan activities such as Santa visits, donation drop offs etc. to seamlessly fit into already hectic holiday schedules.
Here’s a few ideas that we’ve come up with so far:
- Attend a tree lighting ceremony
- Watch a holiday parade
- Hop in the car to see a holiday light display in pajamas
- See a holiday play or movie
- Bake and decorate Christmas cookies
- Read a new Christmas book
- Dance and sing to Christmas carols
- Visit Santa and get a classic holiday photo
- Write a letter to Santa
- Snuggle up near the Christmas tree with a Christmas story and a cup of hot coco
- Donate food, clothing or toys to a local shelter
- Snuggle up and watch a holiday movie
- Decorate a gingerbread house
- Make a special Christmas ornament
- Put together a magical treat for Santa and his reindeer
- Get crafty and make Christmas cards for friends, teachers and special relatives
- Help decorate the Christmas tree
- Take a look at old photographs and remember special family memories and traditions
- Learn how other cultures around the world celebrate Christmas
- Ride the Polar Express/Read the Polar Express/Watch the Polar Express
- Visit a local holiday fair or festival
- Dress in holiday attire from head to toe
- Visit a Christmas tree farm or lot and pick out a tree
- Visit and feed a reindeer at the zoo
Share your advent calendar ideas! I’d love to hear them! As always, please remember to follow me on Instagram and tag me if you decide to use one of my ideas this holiday season!